Almost a month and a half ago I took a leap and went from the blonde hair that I had loved for 3 YEARS and decided to go red! Red had always been the color I wanted SO badly BUT I was terrified to achieve.
Would I be able to pull it off? What would I look like? What will everyone else think?
Honestly, looking back on these questions it’s a little embarrassing. I was so focused on what other people would think of how I looked and what my outside appearance would look like instead of how I would feel internally about this big change.
I am a strong believer that our hair changes the way we feel about ourselves emotionally and mentally. So this is why I was kind of upset with my self for holding off for so long. If it makes YOU HAPPY DO IT! You will always have me in your corner cheering you on! 😉
While I was so concerned with what other people were thinking I wish I thought of these KEY things:
- RED HAIR IS A LOT OF MAINTENANCE!
- Red hair is so beautiful and vibrant but even though you want it to stay like that… IT WON’T. Red along with any vibrant color will NEED to be refreshed EVERY 3-4 weeks! Well, Why? Even if you don’t mind seeing your roots come in, your beautiful red hair WILL FADE AFTER EACH wash. After 3 weeks have passed I am begging to get my ends refreshed! Like I said… RED IS A LOT OF MAINTENANCE! Find a stylist you love and visit him or her every month! 😉
- YOUR HAIR CAN’T GO FOR A DIP IN THE POOL WITH YOU THIS SUMMER!
- With Red or any color treated hair you have to be SUPER CAREFUL when it comes to the pool and any water for that matter! So let’s just imagine you’re enjoying your day at the pool, you’ve baked in the sun for half the day but it’s hot and all you want to do is dive head first into that ice, cold pool! Let’s fast forward to seconds after that head first dive… You pop up for air and flip your hair like every fun hair pool pic on Instagram and next thing you know YOUR HAIR IS BLEEDING RED INTO THE ONCE CLEAR POOL! I know, right? Super dramatic Lol buuuut I kinda had to freak you out so you wouldn’t try it! Be nice to your hair and save yourself from the awkward convos and keep your fabulous hair OUT of the pool this summer!
- YOU WILL FEEL DIRTY!
- YOU HAVE TO GO LONGER BETWEEN SHAMPOOS! Washing your hair every day won’t do like I mentioned earlier every time you shampoo your hair, your hair will fade! You will have to train your hair to go longer with out a shampoo to stay looking fabulous! I shoot for washing my hair 2 times a week and I still refresh my color every 3 weeks sooo moral of the story is red hair fades fast. Please remember just because you aren’t washing your hair everyday you will still need to shower lol shower caps, top knots and dry shampoo save lives, people!
These 3 things have been the hardest part about having my red hair but I have been OBSESSED with it since I made this transformation! DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY & BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE!